Non-rotating hoisting ropes can be distinguished according the following features:
- crosslay or langlay versions
- right hand or left hand twisted outer strands
- tensile strength of wires: 1770,1960 or 2160N/mm²
- completely or partly compacted ropes – compacting method
- standard section/area or plastic covered steel cores
Furthermore there are details like, surface of wires, number of outer strands, kind of greasing and so on. Now it is obvious, that the choice of the rope-construction is extremely important. Of course we can calculate the service life of ropes, but these programs mostly are based on more or less ideal conditions. It is essential to know the main reasons for wear.